Monday, February 04, 2008

Creativity

I think there are people in this world who are born creative and those who are not. I have always envied those people who seem to have creativity flowing from them. I was kind of a geek in high school and lots of my friends were the musical type. I was always so jealous of those who could sing or play an instrument or create artsy things. I have just never been that good at it. That's not to say that I don't need a creative outlet. On the contrary, I have always really wanted to excel at something "creative". I feel like I have all these cool ideas in my head that want to get out, but I am just not skilled enough to make it happen... it is actually kind of frustrating. I suppose in some respects, knitting is definitely a creative outlet for me. The thing is that when it comes to knitting patterns, I am great at following directions but not so great at coming up with my own.

To break out of my rut, I have decided to dabble in a little designing. My first idea was a skirt for Gub. I have the design and the swatch but I can't keep the little bugger still long enough to get her measurements so that is on hold for the moment. My other project is a sweater for me. It is cropped with long sleeves and raglan shaping. I am using the proportions from EZ's Kitting Without Tears which is great because it makes the math much more straightforward. I am determined to make something that really fits me, no matter how many times I have to frog my knitting! I doubt that I will be making anything high fashion but if I can design and make a sweater that really fits, I will be very proud of myself (even if it is just to wear around the house). So far, I have about half a sleeve done (and have frogged and restarted once). I will keep you posted on my progress.

Speaking of creative, there is nothing like a child's mind for real creativity. Here is a picture of Gub doing her new favorite thing... taking all the yarn out of my storage bins and sitting in them. In this picture, she is trying like the dickens to open the plastic bag and touch the yarn. She totally cracks me up!

If I just keep trying...

Cheers!

No comments: