Friday, May 06, 2005

Crochet "Procrastination" Scarf

Last night I sat down to knit for the first time since Monday. I can hear voices from the crowds asking, "Kelly, Kelly, what did you knit?" Did I cast on for my chicknits Ribby Shell as my last blog suggested I might? No, I did not. Did I work on the shawl I am knitting for my mother for mother's day (to be given in June)? No, I did not. Instead, I grabbed a ball of yarn left over from Joey's Sweater, a size J crochet hook, and starting crocheting this lacy, very soft, blue scarf. I dub this scarf my "Procrastination Scarf" because I whiled away the evening hours in front of the TV working on this, rather than addressing the other projects on my list. Do I feel bad about this, you ask? No! I do not. I justified all of my procrastination by deciding that this will go to my grandmother when it is finished. She has not been feeling well lately and has been in and out of the hospital. Hopefully this scarf will be like a warm hug from me to her. As a bonus, it is light enough to wear during the summer, particularly if you are in a place with the air conditioner blowing sub-zero.
There, the justification process is complete. This scarf is no longer about procrastination but is now about making something comforting for my grandmother. Suddenly, I feel a little like Mother Theresa (except without the life devoted to doing good for others).
Maybe tonight I will cast on for the Ribby Shell... or maybe I will just keep working on the scarf.


Crochet "Procrastination" Scarf
Originally uploaded by kellymarino.

No comments: