Saturday, January 12, 2008

Everyone Loves Baby Knits

I attended a baby shower today for a lovely friend of mine who is due in late February with her first child. As far as baby showers go, it was a nice one with really yummy cake. I have to admit that I generally don't enjoy baby showers all that much. I don't know why; I like babies and I like watching people open presents and get excited about things. I think my problem with baby showers is that they feature an often overwhelming amount of stuff (99% of which is totally unnecessary) and the guest of honor is usually so late in her pregnancy that she spends most of the time looking completely fatigued. Today's mom-to-be was no exception. She looked lovely and was obviously excited, but she was just so clearly exhausted that I kind of felt bad for her. She is one of those effortlessly graceful people. You know the kind... those rare people who always look put together, always have a smile on their face, and always greet you as if you are the most important person in the world. If someone like that is visibly fatigued, I think it is safe to say that the festivities were wearing a little thin.

Anyway, I tucked my knit hat and mitts into the gift that I bought for her and her husband. It was great because as soon as she pulled them out of the bag, she knew the gift was from me. Out of the mountains of presents that were in front of her, she knew mine automatically because of the knits. I loved that... it is nice to have a little something special that sets your gift apart and lets people know that you care enough to put your own time and effort into making something for them. The set got lots of ooohs and ahhhs from the audience and at the end of the shower her husband made a point of telling me how much he liked them. It definitely made yesterday's pressure knitting worth it.

Cheers!

No comments: