Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Happy New Year!

I bet that 90%+ of the blogger posts created today have "Happy New Year" in the title. :)

So how was your Christmas? Mine was very nice. I spent some time in my hometown with my mom, dad, and siblings. Most of them live pretty far away and with the girl, we don't get out there very often so it was nice to see them all. It was especially nice to have someone else entertain the girl for a while. It almost felt like a vacation.

The girl had a pretty good Christmas. She liked opening the presents for a little while. Her favorite gift was a toy kitchen from Santa. Here is a picture of her playing with it for the first time. She was very excited when she saw it and it is still fun for her more than a week later (now that is a toy with some staying power).

Would you like some fries with that?

In fiber news, I am still working on the baby set for my coworker. She actually had her baby girl on Dec. 23 (a little more than a week early). It sounds like everyone is healthy and doing well. I have finished the booties and the mittens and I am about half way through the hat. Once the set is complete, I will post a picture. For the moment, the hat knitting has been put on hold for a special project.

I participate in an online message board for women who had babies in September, 2006. We chat with each other about our kids, ask questions, talk about life, etc. They are a nice group of women, many of whom have been posting since we all found out we were pregnant about 2 years ago. Last week, one of the women found out that her son, who has been sick for a little while, has cancer. This little boy has been given a 50/50 chance of survival and his family is devastated. He is so young and it is so unfair that he has to go through this. Lately I've noticed that before you have kids, stories about bad things happening to kids make you sad. However, once you have one of your own, stories about kids getting hurt or sick absolutely break your heart because you imagine something like that happening to your own little one. So I am crocheting him a little blanket. It isn't much, but at least it is something warm that he can hold on to, and his parents will know that people are thinking of him during this horrible time. I am using a nice soft acrylic wool blend (Plymouth Encore) in green and a waffle pattern. Here is a picture of the work in progress:

Full view

Here is a close up of the waffle pattern

My goal is to get it finished by next week so I can send it along with some "get well" wishes. I hope your 2008 starts off as happy and healthy as possible.

Cheers!

No comments: