Monday, January 07, 2008

KIP

When you see the acronym "KIP", do you immediately think "knitting in public"? If you are a knitter who is active on the web, you probably do. When I see "KIP", however, my first thought is "knitting in a plane".

I have never really been one to knit in public. For one thing, I am rarely in a public place that is conducive to knitting. When I am out, I am usually shopping, eating, or doing something otherwise active. While I am sure there are some tremendously industrious knitters out there who are capable of knitting while browsing the aisles of the grocery store, I am definitely not one of them. Of course when I do go to places that offer good knitting accommodations, such as MD office waiting rooms, I never remember to bring my knitting. These days, I would say a good 95% of my knitting is done on the couch in front of the TV after Gub has gone to bed.

Before Gub was born, the one place where you did often find me knitting was in airports and on planes. When I traveled a lot for my job, knitting was my sanity-saver. It kept me from going nutty when I was faced with yet another flight delay or when I was alone in a hotel room watching BBC World News for the 3rd hour in a row because there were no other TV channels being broadcast in English (interestingly, even in our vast world the top news stories tend to remain pretty much the same during any given time period). Since Gub came along, The Company has graciously allowed me to minimize my travel as much as humanly possible. Unfortunately, there are still times when clients call and I have to go.

Which brings me to the knitting topic of this post. I am leaving later this afternoon to head to Wilmington, DE (oh yeah, its exotic travel) for a meeting tomorrow morning. Since I (used to) travel so often, packing takes me all of 5 minutes. Selecting the right knitting to bring takes a bit more time and careful thought. There are just so many considerations to think about when selecting plane knitting. So without further ado, I am proud to present my Rules of Plane Knitting Project Selection, developed and honed by years of travel experience:
  • First, whatever you bring needs to be portable which means small items or small parts of larger items, small balls of yarn, and not too many colors (so you don't have to carry too many balls of yarn). They are pretty strict about carry on rules these days and you don't want your knitting to end up in your suitcase buried in the belly of the plane.
  • Second, you want to make sure that the knit is simple enough that you can pick it up and put it down as needed without losing your place (such as when one is eavesdropping on the occasional juicy cell phone conversation), but interesting enough to hold your attention through many flight-delayed hours in the airport.
  • Third, you don't want to bring anything that is too close to completion. I have learned from experience that it really sucks to finish your project part way through a flight, leaving you with nothing else to do.
  • Fourth, think carefully about your needle choices. DPNs are small and portable but you have to factor in the risk of dropping a needle and having it roll away down the aisle of the plane. Large metal needles may cause problems at security checkpoints. Circulars are generally a good choice as are bamboo straight needles.
  • Sixth, make sure you bring all the little accessories that make your knitting successful. While you can probably MacGyver anything you need in a pinch (thread from your own coat as a stitch marker anyone?), it sure is nice to have a little travel bag with some stitch markers, some waste yarn, a circular cutting tool (these are safe to use on planes), and a plastic yarn needle.
  • Finally, make sure you like what you are working on. You are going to be in one place with no access to other projects for a while. It is best when you actually enjoy what you are knitting!

After carefully considering these rules, I have chosen to knit Branching Out from Knitty using size 6 bamboo needles and Elan's Peruvian Baby Cashmere fingering weight yarn. The lace will be interesting enough to keep me going and the whole thing fits into a quart size zip top bag. I will post some pictures of my progress once I am back home. Safe travels everyone.

Cheers!

No comments: